People are becoming increasingly aware of the important role honey bees play in our environment and society. But what about all the other bee species? Australia is home to over 1,500 species of native bees and has the highest diversity of bee species in the world.
These bees play a vital part in local ecosystems, but are under dire threat from pesticides, habitat loss, urban sprawl and increasing urbanisation. Fortunately native bees can be encouraged into any garden through the construction of bee “hotel” habitats and planting indigenous plants as a food source. In addition to helping local biodiversity, your own plants and food crops will benefit greatly from the presence of native bees.
What will we cover?
The class will cover:
- What are bees?
- The importance of bees and why they are threatened
- Why we should help native bees and the benefits of doing so
- Why you should build a native bee hotel
- Details and a demonstration on how exactly to build the two kinds of native bee “hotels”; drilled hardwood and bamboo bundle
- How to attract native bees into your garden using indigenous plants
- The role indigenous plants play in local ecosystems
Price: $35.00 Workshop limitied to 20 people
Book tickets here: https://event.bookitbee.com/8407/native-bees-at-skinc-nursery